Friday 20 April 2012


Friday 20th April 2012

I am very concerned that this election may end up being dominated by one issue. Some candidates, voters and the media seem to be obsessed by Viking Energy. I know how important it is but things are getting personal and that is unacceptable. I have said many times that this has been the most divisive issue I can remember and I am sad to see a community like Shetland tear itself apart.

I was not surprised that the Charitable Trust meeting last Monday descended into chaos. Any further decisions should be left to a new set of trustees as I fear there is a credibility issue here. Nothing that has been said or written over the last few weeks has altered my position and my views have now been well documented on this issue.

We must also concentrate on other issues which may not be so dominant but are just as important to many people.

The threat to our schools has been raised to me as many times as the wind farm issue. Make no mistake; closures are high on the ‘Refresh the Blueprint’ list. I just hope that a new Council will see the folly of closing outlying rural schools that, through no fault of their own, are geographically unsuitable for amalgamation. Many a previous Council has wittered on about helping and sustaining rural areas. Well now is a chance for a new Council to put its money where its mouth is and cease this constant threat of school closures or take the consequence of mass centralisation.

Transport has again figured high on people’s lists this week. During the road upgrade works through the Houlmalees the Walls bus used the Staneydale to Staney Punds loop road. People in Browland, Gruting, Selivoe and Staneydale still think this route puts more people in closer contact with the service. Quite a few bus users have questioned if the current buses are the best type for rural routes. Coaches would be the preference as has been mentioned in the past by the Council.  Complaints about the air quality on the current buses have also been raised.

Skips are another big issue in the Walls area. As these are provided by the Community Councils we must ensure that finance is maintained to keep the service, if not improve it. The consequences of not doing so would be fly tipping in the hills, quarries and over the banks.

I’m glad to see that the Walls pier is back on track. Coming from a construction background, if elected, I shall be keeping a very close eye on this project as many people in the West Side are quite rightly furious as to how it has been handled in the past.

Public toilets, and the threat of their closure, has also been raised. You try covering an area the size of Shetland West without them. Enough said!

A local rural business is thinking about renewing their premises and expanding their business. They have been in contact with Business Gateway and SIC Development and were met by a very negative tone due to being a retailer and not a manufacturer.  No grant aid is available and loan terms are no better than the banks. This is a well established business that employs eight people in a rural area, exactly what the Council says it wants for Shetland. Where is the help and support?

I’ve been out and about in Shetland West every day, except  Sunday, since I blogged last. I’d like to thank people for their good wishes, courtesy and kindness and also for taking the time and opportunity to raise issues with me either on the door steps, by ‘phone or by e-mail.

Lastly, if the people of Bixter, Effirth, Aith and East Burrafith are wondering where I am you’ll probably be sick of the sight of me by this time next week!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment